- The Penultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
- You Got to Be Kidding by Dr. Joe Wenke
- god is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
- Portnoy’s Complaint by Philip Roth
- The Great American Novel by Philip Roth
- The Castle by Franz Kafka
- American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis
- An analysis
- The Informers by Brett Easton Ellis
- Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
- Too Late the Phalarope by Alan Paton
- Insane City by Dave Barry
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel
- White Oleander by Janet Fitch
- I, Houdini by Lynn Reid Banks
- Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto (Manga)
- Then They Came For Me by Maziar Bahari
- Ahab’s Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund
- An analysis
- Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
- An analysis (-ish)
- Princess Bride Abridged by William Goldman
- An analysis
- The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- In Search of Lost Time
- Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust (Lydia Davis)
- Friends (1994 – 2004): Character Analysis
- LOST: Sayid Jarrah
- LOST: Kate Austen
- Pretty Little Liars (2010 – 2013)
- Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (1995-1999)
- The Big Bang Theory (2008 – 2011)
- Yu Yu Hakusho: Ghost Files (2002 – 2006)
- Ranma½ (1989 – 1992)
- Dead Like Me (2003 – 2004)
- 100 Rogues
- Always Sometimes Monsters
- The Banner Saga
- Breach & Clear
- Broken Age
- Castle Doombad
- The Cave
- Chrono Trigger
- Faster Than Light (FTL): Immersion
- Faster Than Light (FTL): Journey Vs Destination
- Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
- Hitman Go
- Lumino City
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
- Monument Valley
- Record of Agarest War
- Ryan North’s To Be Or Not To Be
- The Sailor’s Dream
- The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
- Stealth, Inc.: A Clone in the Dark
- Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP
- Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Chapter 1)
- The World Ends with You (TWEWY)
- You Must Build a Boat
- 8½ (1963)
- Amazing Spider-Man, The (2012)
- Amazing Spider-Man 2 Trailer, The (2013)
- American Hustle (2013)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- Beautiful Creatures (2013)
- Big Boss (1971)
- Blackfish (2013)
- Bling Ring, The (2013)
- Call, The (2013)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
- Conjuring, The (2013)
- Dark Knight Rises, The (2012)
- Dark Skies (2012)
- Devil’s Due (2014)
- Elysium (2013)
- Evil Bong (2006)
- Executive Koala (2005)
- Fist of Fury (1972)
- Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane (2007)
- Game of Death (1978)
- Gone Girl (2014)
- Good People (2014)
- Great Gatsby, The (2013)
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, The (2005)
- House at the End of the Street, The (2012)
- Hugo (2011)
- Invention of Lying, The (2009)
- Iron Man 3 (2013)
- John Wick (2014)
- Jurassic World (2015)
- Liar Liar (1997)
- Life of Pi (2012)
- Magic in the Moonlight (2014)
- Magic Mike (2012)
- Mama (2013)
- Million Dollar Arm (2014)
- Oculus (2014)
- Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014)
- Perfect Storm, The (2000)
- Perks of Being a Wallflower, The (2012)
- Pitch Perfect (2012)
- Poseidon (2006)
- Puss in Boots (2011)
- Reign Over Me (2007)
- Retreat (2011)
- Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
- Sinister 2 (2015)
- Spider-Man 3 (2007)
- Springbreakers (2012)
- Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)
- Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)
- This is 40 (2012)
- Thor (2011)
- TMNT (2007)
- Trainwreck (2015)
- Twilight & Breaking Dawn Part 2 (2008 & 2012)
- Way of the Dragon, The (1972)
- What to Expect When You’re Expecting (2012)
- Wreck-it Ralph (2012)
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
- *Mystery Movie #1
- Chess, Worms, Advance Wars
- Jet Grind Radio (2000) & Jet Set Radio Future (2002)
- Mortal Kombat Vs Street Fighter
- Resident Evil 6 (2012)
- Risk (1957)
- RoboCop vs. Terminator (1994)
- Silent Hill 2 (2001)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (1991 – 1998)
- Dispatch (1996 – present)
- Dominic Agius (Artist)
- Edward and the Magnetic Zeroes: Up From Below
- Florence + the Machine: Lungs
- The Killers: Hot Fuss
- Lana Del Rey: Born to Die
- Reel Big Fish: Candy Coated Fury
- State Radio: Us Against the Crown
- Taylor Swift: Red
- Scatterbrain V 1.0
- Literary Football (Prologue)
- Happy Birthday Series
- Spider-Man: Kansas
- If there were a finite amount of Space…
- Today’s Tomorrow
- Pugsley101 by Derek & Melissa Hobson
- I Hate Being Angry
It’s not empowering having anger issues.
- No Wrong Religion
A father explains religion to his daughter–as objectively as possible.
- A Crucial Juncture
At the crossroads of life and death, choosing to survive may turn out to be more unknown that the afterlife.
- I’m (Not) Too Good for You
How prolonging the end of a romantic relationship can cause more grievance than a one-night stand.
- The Calm Before…
A specific moment from a specific video game that I wrote a fanfiction of and changed the names. Hoo-rah!
- A Hero’s Death
In the trenches. No hope of escape. Three men admit their shortcomings… the fourth calls them all dicks.
- One Way Ticket
A script of a man and his subconscious following another breakup.
- Itsy Bitsy Pissed Off Spider
A tale of vengeance.
- An Average Conversation with the Mrs.
And the lies we tell on a daily basis to protect them.
- Back to Surreality: A Day at the Dock
It’s hard to know if trauma is real when you have nothing to show for it.
- Out of Cash
When the bank account runs dry, choices must be made for an uncertain future.
- Chipotle Burrito Anxiety
A confession about the staple task at Chipotle.
- The Colloquial Sequitur “Yeahno”
A script about the usage and definition of “Yeahno.”
- Worst Hangover Ever
In July of 2009, I had the worst hangover of my life, so I wrote it into a short story as a reminder to never repeat the mistake again.
- Pears, Pearls, and Penis-Envy
Bill contacts Derek about his interpretation of a short story and it’s kinda brilliant.
- The Rich Get Richer
A dystopian future where you work hard to be promoted up the floors or you join the masses of starving hands down below.
- I Felt Like Dancing
A short story about a boy who resolves his anger issues with a vivid imagination.
- An Empty Cathedral
Two boys live out a high school fantasy of entering a movie theater after hours.
- Politics to Laymans
A short, comedy script about the war in Afghanistan.
- Pit of the Infinite
Jacob finds William alone in an alley wasting away and utterly content.
- Captain Pollard’s Cemetery
After Captain Pollard’s second failed voyage, he becomes a grave-keeper in Nantucket where rumors float concerning his cannibalistic survival after the Essex…
- What is Sexualizing Women?
A Q&A between Spencer and Reed about what qualifies as douchey.
- I’m Definitely Sexualizing Women
A follow-up that works just as well as a stand-alone entry. It’s about the fantasy vs the reality.
- Objectifying Women Objectively
Another follow up to the Spencer & Reed story, that works on its own… but should there be another, this will be necessary.
- Waiting for Gay Jesus
A group of friends sit around a table and discuss why they’re excited for LGBTQ rights… some more nobler than others.
- The Red Door
A horror story of a door that changes rooms.
- Blackmailing Superman
Carl has been blackmailing Superman for favors ever since he found his secret identity and now he wants to time travel.
- The Trial and Error
A parody of the existential question in The Trial written as a dialogue between the inspector and the gatekeeper.
- An Old Man
A parody of The Old Man and the Sea featuring just an old man in a Hemingway-esque short story.
- Repercussions of Telecommunications
Ricky Lujan finds himself unemployed for not lying to a client.
- Becoming Self-Centered
Not all car accidents are viewed negatively, and their death can be inspiring.
- Cripkey Horsfallen Meets a New Friend
A little boy with a terminal case of an under-utilized imagination finds himself in a diner when an unexpected visitor arrives.
- Hung from Heaven
The final manuscript from Kyle Higgins as presented by editor Mark Shepherd. The story of a boy, who everyone believed was sent from the heavens, only to become the snake charmer that got his viper stuck in the overcast.
- War of Song
The Musical gods have always understood that their craft is symbiotic with rebellion. And even those that were against violence, like Harmony, have never understood the real impact of war because they were contained in the human world. However, when it expanded to their realm, true chaos began…
- Cain & Abortion
If we really consider abortion murder before birth, then that old wives’ tale (that left-handed children absorbed their twin in the womb) should put all murderous children on trial.
- First & Third
Every child goes through life within their own world. This narrative features 3 stories that begin from the mind of a child (1st person) and then shift to an objective onlooker (3rd person) to show what sparked the child’s thought.
A father and son switch bodies, but unlike Freaky Friday, Hot Chick, or The Change-up, the two remained in each others bodies.
Shoot Me Now or Make it Quick
Two friends (Oliver and Chris) reconvene in the wee hours of twilight to discuss their significant others; Oliver ending a relationship with his social circle and Chris preparing for fatherhood.
Writing the Novel
Dialogue and prose narrating how Wesley begins his novel and how he reaches the eventual conclusion.
The Adventures of Cillian Hume: The Case of the Stolen Spouse
A parody of the Sir Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes franchise, featuring Cillian Hume–a man of luck and inductive reasoning–and Dr. Luke H. Watt. Together the two solve crimes of theft, scandal, and murder, and although unconventional, they always seem to find their perp.
From A to Zombie
The only true benefactors of a zombie apocalypse are, ironically, those with no lives. No jobs, no loved ones, no long-term goals… the only people that would actually benefit if our social infrastructure collapsed. This is a story about those men, women, and children. Moreover, the men and women who act like children, or the men and women who work with children.
- Chapter I
- Chapter II
- Chapter III
- Chapter V
- Chapter VI
- Chapter VII
- Chapter VIII
- Chapter IX
- Chapter X
- Chapter XI
- Chapter XII
- Chapter XIII
- Chapter XIV
- Chapter XV
- Chapter XVI
A Less Bad Day
A story of Calvin Iolaus, a young man, freshly dumped, and looking for a way to forget, but something always unexpected happens that results in careful deliberation before action.
Pygmalion’s Monkey Paw
Pygmalion’s Monkey Paw unites two timeless tales: the horror story by W. W. Jacobs, The Monkey’s Paw and the Greek myth of Pygmalion. This story takes place a year after the death of Pygmalion’s wife. Losing the one thing he sought more than anything throws him into a state of mourning. With the passing of a year, he’s grown more frustrated at his agony for not subsiding and reminding him every day that he is without. As a result, he slips further into depression, toying with dark thoughts until the doctor provides him with a solution…
Shark Horse: An ongoing story of a Navajo (Joseph Sigo) who developed the uncanny ability to drift from death. After experimentation from Josef Mengele (Angel of Death), he is now a crime-fighting superhero known only as “Shark Horse”.
- Part 4: The Need for Speed (or The Italian Plumber)
- Part 6: Shit! A Kaiju!
- Part 9: The Shark Side of the Horse
- Shark Horse: Superhero or Anthropological Mess
- Part 12: Shark Horse and the Vampire Sharks from Atlantis
- Part 16: Sharking the Law
- Part 16; Part II: Heart of Sharkness
- Part 19: Shark Horse Kills Again… in Space!
- Part 22: Dolphin-Men: Sharks of Future Horse
- Part 25: Radioactive Horse (Year 1)
(See the series Bible here)
- A Screwheads’ Christmas Story
A Choose-Your-Own-Adventure online story made collectively by the Screwheads.
- Beta Memories
In future, a young woman finds herself imprisoned for a crime she did not commit and she is determined to find out why.
One man decides that he’s lost everything already, why not finish the job? (Click the ‘title’ to see the full story.)
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 5
- The Merrie Comedie of the Baker’s Boysenberry
A lowly baker is accused of a crime against the king. (Written/Directed/Voiced by Pierce Nahigyan; Illustrations by Derek Hobson)
- Sssssss (Bill’s in Tahoe)
Average Bill’s latest DJ Mashup needed to be posted on schedule, but he was in Tahoe at the time, so he asked Derek to do it for him… story ensues.
- Bachelorette Recap: It’s Not Slut-Shaming, It’s PR
- Why Birdman is Better than Whiplash
- I Made Fun of a Child with Dyslexia
- Why Two Bachelorettes is a Good Thing: An Open Letter to Sean Lowe
- Gone Girl and the Great Gatsby
- Some Thoughts on Feminism
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: A Lesson in Feminism
- Another Hey, Arnold Moment
- There is No Religious Panacea
- Growing Up With Video Games
- The Serpent and Eve; the Snake and Moses
- 8½ (1963) by Federico Fellini & Ranma ½ (1989-1992) by Rumiko Takahashi Review: The Smoke and Steam
- HeForShe: The Fight for Male Equality
- Jon Hammster: Beyond the Pun
- I Fell for Ferguson
- How I Met Your Mother’s Strange Subversive Message
- The Fundamental Flaw Between Spider-Men
- Spiegel and Zee: A Metaphorical Analysis of Evan Spiegel and Mark Zuckerberg
- Why Fan-Boys Be Hatin’?
- 5 Movie Crossovers that will NEVER Happen, but would be LEGENDARY
- Why X-Men: Days of Future Past is the Best Superhero Sequel to Date
- A Nougat of an Idea
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Marketing Strategy
- Anglerfish Reader-Response Criticism
- Why Harry Potter is Not Literature
- On the Subject of Hemingway
- Intentional Fallacy Musings
- Under the Laser: A First-Hand Account of Getting LASIK
- Dominic Agius Review & Ongoing Introspection
- Why I Don’t Like Pixar Part 1
- Why I Don’t Like Pixar Part 2
- Grand Theft Autonomics: Tetris Causing OCD
- Phallic and Yonic Symbols at Chipotle
- A Eulogy to the Grim Reaper
- Child Molestation is Akin to Cowboys
Poetry & Mixed Media (Memes)
- Chauffeured by Fate
- A Star-Crossed Confession
- To the Queen of the Elf People
- The Only Reason My Wife Makes Me Work Out… (Meme)
- Where is Malaysia Airline Flight 370? (Meme)
- Kurt Cobain’s Death: New Evidence
- Winnie & Zulu
- You’ve Done it Again, Chipotle
- Poem on Poetry
- Adrift Among Fishes
- Intertextuality with Musical Atrocity
- The Future of Horror Movies (Mixed Media)
- Why Cats are Better than Dogs (Mixed Media)
- Why People Love Zombies (Mixed Media)
- The Fish Who Would Be King
- TellTale Kitty
- Oddly Optimistic
- No Direction Home
- The Green Terror
- The Final Frontier
- Dry-Ice Maiden
- Dante’s Inferno